CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

An Early Start

Woke up at 2:30 this morning, not really able to sleep but not feeling really tired at all.  I decided it might be best to get up and do something seeing as I wasn't going back to sleep at all.
What better time to blog than super early in the morning.
I was considering what to actually write about.  There are some topics I intend to cover, just at the moment it doesn't feel right to go into them.  It's not that they are heavy or shocking topics I just don't feel that right now is the best time to go trekking through them.
I do want to cover the topic of writing as in story writing or book writing.
I consider myself, to some degree, a writer.  I enjoy writing stories and I tend to think I'm fairly good at it.  At some point I'd like to become a professional writer, if that is still possible.
What I'm rapidly discovering though is that very few people, at least these days, are professional writers alone.  It seems that many have 'day jobs' with writer being the secondary or supplemental income for them.  There tends to be very few 'pro writers' out there these days and I have an idea that some of this is due to lack of government funding, lack of agencies/places that help support new or struggling writers and also the economy.
I think the first two are fairly straight forward in their names alone, the Canadian Government though it likes to show people it supports the arts tends to be (at least currently) having tight coffers when it comes to arts spending.  At the same time with the lack of federal/provincial funding there are few if any places that help get young or struggling writers published, it is very much up to the writer to do that on their own, now thanks to the internet that makes sending writing submissions easy as pie but still there is a lack of concrete knowledge and support in getting that confidence up for the young writer.
The big one to me is the economy, it is not viable at all for a writer to 'just be a writer' they have to have something to support themselves and use the writing as a supplemental way of making a living.  That has it's up and its down side.  Up being that the writer has a steady source of income, down being that having a primary focus other than writing takes time away from the writers actual task of writing and if there was more time to devote to writing then the writer, with the proper support, might be able to make a 'pro' go at it and become the 'Next Big Thing' in the writing world.

There tends to be a lot of snags along the way in becoming a writer and I'm sure this is a topic that I'll be coming back to in the not to far off future, if only to deepen my own thoughts on the subject.  I think this blog can be looked at as a starter to an ongoing topic, something that will be re-visited again.

Peace,

ClX

0 comments: