CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 22, 2009

The Occult

I've discovered I'm an occult fanatic.  Not fanatic in that I spend my every waking hour and minute digging up information and memorizing it, more along the lines of I'm a big sucker for it.  Now don't get me wrong I don't call those phone psychics and ask them about my future, most of them have phony accents anyway, I'm talking more along the lines of a large part of the material that I read.
Two of the main comics (or graphic novels for you mainstreamers) that I read are Hellboy and Hellblazer.  Now aside from the names which indicate devil worship (I'm on to you Church of Latter Day Saints) there is a lot of occult and magic involved in them.  This is also something that is present in a lot of the novels that I read which circle around sci-fi and fantasy.  I've also been getting into more real world applications of occult like Astral Projection and Remote Viewing.

Why does this interest me?
I think its the mystery of the unknown, the fact that you are unsure of what will be there when you get to the other side of what you're looking at.  There is so much we really don't know about our world and the universe that these are steps that show us that its not all about just getting up everyday and going to work, there are larger forces at work that we can tap into and take a ride on.
Some of these things can't be denied.  The writings in Hellblazer and Hellboy have basis on current research and on past legends, stories that have been handed down for generations and generations, stories that shaped our ancestors back to the early days of the earth.  If stories have held since then, obviously taking new shapes with each generation that gets it, there has to be something we find magical in the story to keep it going, there has to be something other worldly in order to want us to tell it to someone else.
The legends of old are mostly shaped out of 'misunderstanding'.  An old woman might have been a base psychic and finds she is able to help people with her abilities by giving them advice.  She becomes labelled a witch but through generations of stories she is given a name and becomes the Baba Yaga.  That's how these things work.  Misunderstandings of the past create the reasong to research other worldly powers for future generations, to corroborate or disprove these things.

As it goes we're finding more and more that there are deep truths to these 'strange' stories and that people really are far more powerful, within themselves, than has ever been realized before.

Peace,

ClX


0 comments: